2.3 Minimising our Impact
on the Environment & Biodiversity
Ecosystems & Biodiversity
Safeguarding biodiversity and respective ecosystems is of utmost importance to Hafnia. We strictly follow and go beyond all compliance regulations such as the Oil Pollution to Sea, Chemical Pollution to Sea, Sewage Pollution to Sea, Garbage Pollution to Sea, as well as the Ballast Water Management Convention.
Avoiding invasive species from ballast water
We are proactively ensuring our vessels are progressively fitted with an approved Ballast Water Treatment System (BWTS) and have invested in state-of-the-art modern technologies.
This allows for optimised management of ballast water so that aquatic organisms and pathogens are removed or rendered harmless before being released into a new location. This helps prevent the spread of invasive species as well as harmful pathogens.
By the end of 2022, most of our vessels 91% will have been fitted with a BWTS that meets regulatory requirements, with the remaining 9% to be completed by the end of 2023.
While ballast water is essential for safe and efficient shipping operations, it may pose serious ecological, economic and health problems due to the multitude of marine species carried in ships’ water reservoirs.
Minimising operations in marine-sensitive areas
We advise our vessels to protect Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in specific zones by reducing speed and avoiding discharge or path avoidance, in alignment with regulations.
The information is disseminated to our vessels when received from authorities. Compliance is verified during internal and external vessel audits and inspections.