Health, Safety, & Security
Our motto is zero harm to our people, the environment, cargo, and property.
Hafnia is continuously improving and evolving procedures to mitigate hazards faced by the maritime industry. Our safety culture focuses on human factors, and is based on reducing accidents at sea.
Accident & safety management
All employees, crew, contractors, and visitors boarding vessels must follow the respective Hafnia safety management system procedures and policies in place.
Hafnia provides easy access to fleet procedures using a high quality management software called DocMap.
Key topics highlighted in the software are management leadership and accountability, navigational safety, incident investigation and analysis, safety management, emergency preparedness, environmental and energy management and contingency planning and security.
The Technical team also provides regular updates to all fleet staff on important procedural changes.
Systems are tested several times a year via simulated drills, conducted by external experts. Despite significant safety measures in place, we unfortunately lost one of our colleagues in a fatal incident on board one of our ships. Our deepest condolences to his family.
This incident was related to an unauthorised entry into an enclosed space. Any such incidents or accidents reinforce our will to promote heightened awareness when it comes to other team members, and further drive a speaking-up culture when procedures are not followed.
Hafnia has introduced more training and safety measures with a closer assessment of raising the alarm when in doubt.
Our 2022 safety focus areas
In 2022, special emphasis was placed on
- The fact that we are all human beings and prone to making mistakes. We worked to identify which ones are likely to further avoid or manage them. We appointed ambassadors to drive this implementation onboard
- Building trust, respect, and confidence in the leadership so people feel comfortable to stop work, speak up, challenge and report matters
- Reiterating Lock out, tag out (LOTO) process
- Appreciating and praising team members for correct behaviours
- Enhancing health, teamwork, and happiness levels onboard
- Developing new skills and proficiency in shipboard operations
- Enhancing teamwork in assessing risks before carrying out tasks
Key Safety Statistics